Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Kinnekulle-leden

Last weekend I walked the trail around the hill "Kinnekulle". I was lucky with very good weather, the last days of summer. The night before it was below zero in the area.
The trail is 46 km long, and with a few extensions by me I walked about 50 km. I will recommend the trail for a two day trip. There are several shelters along the trail, but I didn't use them.
I used my Golite Jam 2 and without food and water I calculated the weight to approx 5 kilos. Added to that approx 3 kilos for eating and drinking. There where a few places to fill water, so I brought a couple of PET-bottles.
The Evernew stove was great. Did only use it with alcohol. Tried it before several times in wood burning mode. Very satisfied with both kind of fuel. Next trip I will use most wood and then Esbit as backup and in stealth mode.
View from the top of Kinnekulle. The lake Vänern in distance.

Only a very thin layer of soil over the limestone.

4 comments:

  1. This is just the kind of low altitude trip I'm looking for in October!

    I guess this is not the sort of walk that you can complete just carrying a kuksa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trail is perfect for a weekend trip in autumn. I will be back in the spring. There will be a crazy amount of flowers due to the limestone. Orchids and other rare ones. Will then start at friday to get time for some flowers and bird watching.
    In october it will be nice to use the wooden shelter for nice evenings at the campfire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beutiful pictures!

    Thanks for your comments on the Evernew stove - good to hear it works well also on alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maria.
    Didn´t use the stove in wood mode, wich was my plan to do. There where several reasons. Did use the stove in stealth mode most of the times. And I didn´t want the smoke to tell my position :-)
    Have used the stove both for wood and alcohol a lot of times during the summer. Very satisfied with it. Always use it with my 0,6 l pot. The stove, lighter, handle and cup fits inside the pot. A very slick combo.

    ReplyDelete